Justia Lawyer Rating
Reviews Avvo
Avvo Clients' Choice 2016 - Family
Avvo Clients' Choice 2016 - Divorce
AV Preeminent
The National Advocates
Super Lawyers
Rising Stars
Super Lawyers
Avvo Rating 10.0
Legal Directorate

Parenting Plans and Time-Sharing

Can I Change or Modify My Parenting Plan?

Children grow and their needs and desires change; an amendment or modification of your parenting plan may be warranted. The good news is that parenting plans are easily modifiable if both parties agree to the changes. It is always an excellent strategy to discuss these issues with the other parent before commencing litigation. You should contact an attorney to assist with such modifications or amendments because they must be submitted to and adopted by the court for the new parenting plan to be in effect and enforceable.

We can confer with the other parent or their counsel to make changes or replace the prior agreement with a new parenting plan. We would consult with you about the changes and exchange drafts of a new agreement with the other parent or their counsel until a final agreement memorializing the final terms of the parenting plan is reached. Both parties then sign the new agreement, and then it is filed with the court, and the Judge enters an order adopting the new parenting plan. By filing the new amendment or plan, you are protecting yourself from a potential claim by the other parent that the changes were never made or a new plan never existed.

What if the Other Parent Won’t Agree to Change the Parenting Plan?

If the other parent refuses to modify or amend the parenting plan, you can seek court intervention. You will have to file a petition to modify the parenting plan or final judgment and specify the changes you desire. The petition must contain a short and plain statement about the substantial change in circumstances that required the requested changes. The petition needs to be served upon the other party for the litigation to commence.

The court will hold an evidentiary hearing, or trial, for both parties to present their case. At the hearing, the judge will decide whether there has been a substantial, material, unanticipated change of circumstances and that the modification is in the best interests of the child. This means that the change of circumstances must be permanent and must not, or could not, have been anticipated by the parties when the original parenting plan was entered.

It is crucial to prepare for the hearing. You will have to present the testimony of witnesses and evidence supporting your petition. It is recommended to have an attorney to assist with hearing preparation and representation at the hearing, although it is not required by law. Such preparation may include calling witnesses, such as relatives, school teachers, physicians, and other people who have knowledge about the facts alleged in the petition. It may also include gathering documents like report cards, photographs, medical records, or other helpful documents involving the child.

If you prevail at the hearing, the judge will provide a date upon which the new parenting plan or amendment goes into effect, and both parties will have to abide by the revised plan after this date. If the court denies your petition, it is difficult to challenge the ruling unless there are grounds for an appeal or another substantial, material, unanticipated change in circumstances arises. You should consult with an attorney if you are seeking to modify a parenting plan or appeal any denial of your petition to modify a parenting plan or final judgment.

What if the Other Parent Refuses to Honor the Parenting Plan or Hasn’t Been Complying with the Parenting Plan?

In addition to changing a parenting plan, you can also seek to enforce the parenting plan if the other parent does not follow the plan. When one party refuses to follow a court order, that party can be held in contempt – civil or criminal. Contempt is a term that means the refusal to obey a court order. Civil contempt is when a party is able, but unwilling to comply with the court’s order. Civil contempt is when the court must determine that the order was clear and that the party had the ability to comply and willfully refused to do so. It is designed to encourage the other party to comply with the court’s order, whereas criminal contempt is intended to punish the non-compliant party. Both types of contempt are punishable by fines, and/or imprisonment, and other types of sanctions. Civil contempt is typically sought in family cases.

You can file a motion for civil contempt and enforcement of the parenting plan. As with modification proceedings, a hearing is also set on the motion for contempt and enforcement. Certain procedural rules must be followed before a court can find someone in contempt, and proper evidence must be presented at the hearing. It is wise to retain an experienced attorney to assist you with such hearing to invoke the court’s contempt powers and coerce the other parent to comply with the parenting plan.

If you are seeking to change your parenting plan or wish to enforce the parenting plan against a noncompliant party, please contact us for assistance.

Client Reviews
"Christy Hertz helped me tremendously with co-parenting issues concerning my daughter. She was fair, listened to me and gave me great advice. She was honest with me, and I have great respect for her because of it. Ultimately, my daughter's father recognized what he needed to do for our daughter's wellbeing. Thanks to Christy, he became much more cooperative, and his cooperation will help in my daughter's development now and for years to come. I'd say she is worth every penny." K. D.
"Christy’s polished demeanor is professional and highly effective. She ALWAYS has a plan and it's ALWAYS the correct one. In representing me from the divorce consultation to the final agreement, her practical, point-blank approach is a well appreciated one. If you are looking for the best attorney to help you achieve the best possible outcome, SHE IS IT!" Sarah
"This is a great firm. Christy and her colleagues represented us through a four year, highly complicated case. We were well represented throughout the whole process. The firm is professional, knowledgable, experienced, and highly effective. These are thorough, hard working attorneys who are competent in every aspect. Christy is quick on her feet, a wealth of knowledge, and an excellent litigator. No games here. Clients first and exceptional service. Look no further." Rob
"Katie made me feel comfortable and confident. She follows through and is very patient to answer any questions you may have. If you're feeling nervous she assures you everything will be ok because she will be there with you every step of the way. Katie is very detailed and available at all times. I will eternally be grateful for how she took care of my case. Thank you Katie!!!!" Ely
"Katie, Helped me with my modification for child support. Being in the military it is very complexed dealing with pay and state laws but Katie guided me the whole way and made the process seem easy. I highly recommend Katie she is very knowledgeable and I felt I could trust her to look for my best interest. Thank you Katie for your help!" Anonymous