Due to COVID-19, We Will Be Conducting All Consultations Either Via Video Chat or Phone.
Justia Lawyer Rating
Reviews Avvo
Avvo Clients' Choice 2016 - Family
Avvo Clients' Choice 2016 - Divorce
AV Preeminent
The National Advocates
Super Lawyers
Rising Stars
Super Lawyers
Avvo Rating 10.0

Foreign Judgments

How Can I Enforce a Divorce Judgment if I was Divorced in a Different State or Country?

If you obtained a divorce in another state or country and you or your former spouse have moved to Florida, you may petition the Florida courts to enforce and/or modify the divorce decree. Divorce Final Judgments from different states or countries are both considered to be “foreign” judgments. For Florida to recognize and ultimately enforce the foreign divorce judgment, you must first petition the court to “domesticate” it.

By domesticating a foreign judgment, Florida courts are giving such judgment full faith and credit under the U.S. Constitution and as the party seeking enforcement can now apply for relief through the Florida courts.

How Can I Domesticate My Foreign Divorce Judgment?

A foreign judgment can be domesticated through any one of the following Florida laws: the Uniform Out-of-Country Foreign Money Judgment Recognition Act, codified in Florida Statutes § 55.601, the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act, commonly referred to as UIFSA and codified in Chapter 88 of the Florida Statutes, or, the Uniform Child-Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act, commonly referred to as the UCCJEA and codified in Florida Statutes § 61.501 (only for issues involving children).

You must first obtain a certified copy of your divorce final judgment from the originating state to domesticate a foreign judgment. You or your attorney must then prepare a notarized affidavit and a petition to domesticate and enforce the divorce final judgment. The Petition to Domesticate a Foreign Judgment must set forth the terms you want to be enforced and/or modified. All documents are then filed with the clerk of the county where you or your ex-spouse resides. A filing fee is also required and may vary depending upon the county.

For out-of-country foreign judgments, the procedure set forth above is the same, with the addition of a certified translation of the judgment, if applicable. However, bear in mind that an out-of-country foreign judgment must meet the principles of equity and comity, and be consistent with Florida law and Florida public policy.

So long as the originating court validly entered the foreign judgment, the judgment has not been modified or amended and is not on appeal or subject to any proceedings pending in another jurisdiction. The Florida court will domesticate the foreign judgment.

You should consult with the attorneys at Hertz Sager for their expert legal advice to determine whether your out-of-country foreign judgment comports with Florida law and public policy or for any assistance relating to the domestication and enforcement of foreign divorce final judgments.

Client Reviews
"Christy Hertz helped me tremendously with co-parenting issues concerning my daughter. She was fair, listened to me and gave me great advice. She was honest with me, and I have great respect for her because of it. Ultimately, my daughter's father recognized what he needed to do for our daughter's wellbeing. Thanks to Christy, he became much more cooperative, and his cooperation will help in my daughter's development now and for years to come. I'd say she is worth every penny." K. D.
"Christy’s polished demeanor is professional and highly effective. She ALWAYS has a plan and it's ALWAYS the correct one. In representing me from the divorce consultation to the final agreement, her practical, point-blank approach is a well appreciated one. If you are looking for the best attorney to help you achieve the best possible outcome, SHE IS IT!" Sarah
"This is a great firm. Christy and her colleagues represented us through a four year, highly complicated case. We were well represented throughout the whole process. The firm is professional, knowledgable, experienced, and highly effective. These are thorough, hard working attorneys who are competent in every aspect. Christy is quick on her feet, a wealth of knowledge, and an excellent litigator. No games here. Clients first and exceptional service. Look no further." Rob
"Katie made me feel comfortable and confident. She follows through and is very patient to answer any questions you may have. If you're feeling nervous she assures you everything will be ok because she will be there with you every step of the way. Katie is very detailed and available at all times. I will eternally be grateful for how she took care of my case. Thank you Katie!!!!" Ely
"Katie, Helped me with my modification for child support. Being in the military it is very complexed dealing with pay and state laws but Katie guided me the whole way and made the process seem easy. I highly recommend Katie she is very knowledgeable and I felt I could trust her to look for my best interest. Thank you Katie for your help!" Anonymous