Martindale Hubbell preeminent rating
Avvo Client's Choice
Best of Coral Gables 2022
Martindale Hubbell Client Reviewed
Justia 10 rating
Rated by Super Lawyers 2024

Coronavirus Legal FAQ

Meeting Your Priorities at an Uncertain Time

At Hertz • Sager, we are committed to helping our clients and others navigate through these unchartered territories. We are happy to inform you that we are up and running through our very organized digital formats and are here to assist you with all your needs. We remain available to you by email, telephone, and video conferencing on your computer, tablet, or smartphone through the Zoom Video Communications application.

This resource page offers FAQ’s, insights, and updates on a range of family law issues that you may be facing during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

Is Your Office Currently Open During Regular Business Hours?

Our physical office is currently closed, but the team at Hertz • Sager continues to work remotely, providing the same service you have come to know. Please be aware that the work on your case will continue to move forward. We are working diligently to schedule electronic hearings to the best of our abilities and as currently allowed by the courts. The court filing system is up and running. Thus, we can file any documents necessary.

When and How Can I Contact You?

Our team continues to work during regular business hours. Should you have any questions or concerns, you are welcome to reach us via email at or by telephone at 305.444.3323. If you call after business hours, please leave a detailed message and a member of our team will contact you as soon as possible.

What Video Chat Platforms Do You Offer for Clients?

The team at Hertz • Sager is available for video conferencing. Currently, our office is conducting video conferences via Zoom. However, we are flexible in working with our clients to meet their individual preferences.

Are You Accepting New Clients?

Hertz • Sager continues to accept new clients. We are here to help all current and future clients with any of their Family Law, Guardianship, and Probate needs. Please do not hesitate to contact us via email at or by telephone at 305.444.3323.

How Can I Get Updates Regarding the Status of My Case or Legal Matter?

We continue to update our clients as frequently as necessary with the most recent and accurate information regarding the status of their case. We remain available via email and telephone to answer any questions you may have.

Are Courthouses Still Open in My Area? Will My Court Date Be Rescheduled? What if I Can’t Come to Court Because I’m Sick or Quarantined?

The physical courts in Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach County are currently closed for non-emergency matters. We are working closely with our clients and the courts to schedule hearings to take place via Zoom. If you have a pending court date and have not been provided a Zoom Meeting ID, please contact us so that we can proved you with one. Upon the courts opening, if you are self-quarantined or feeling ill, please inform our team in order to make the proper arrangements.

Will Scheduled Depositions, Mediations, or Settlement Conferences Occur as Planned?

All depositions, mediations, and settlement conferences are being conducted via Zoom. Our office continues to facilitate these aspects of our cases via video and/or telephone conference. Where all parties are willing and able to participate, mediators are available to facilitate mediation via Zoom. Despite court closures, the courts have encouraged parties to move cases forward as efficiently as possible, and the team at Hertz • Sager is taking the necessary actions on behalf of our clients to do so.

How Does the Coronavirus Affect Time-Sharing and Parental Responsibilities?

Time-sharing can be a tumultuous process under ordinary circumstances, and even more so today. Given the unprecedented stress we are all facing, we feel it is necessary to provide you with information on ways to handle both co-parenting and time-sharing during our health crisis.

During this challenging time, the courts expect parties to continue to strictly adhere to all court-ordered parenting plans. If your child’s school or daycare is currently closed or your child is participating in virtual school from home, you and the other parent should make substitute arrangements, in writing, for timesharing exchanges. Failure to comply with a court order can result in harmful impacts, both short-term and long-term. Every family law case is different and such potential consequences may vary significantly.

Parents may have a growing concern regarding the welfare of their child during the COVID-19 pandemic. For those parents, there are options available. In situations where another parent is exposing the child to unnecessary risks, we have a few recommendations. First, if possible, express your concerns to the other parent regarding their failure to take necessary precautions to ensure the safety of the child. However, if there is a history of miscommunication or the other parent disregards your concerns, it is advised that you contact a legal professional to determine the available options.

Although the courts are currently closed for in-person hearings, there are options available to you if you feel your child’s health, safety, or welfare are at risk as a result of the decision-making by the other parent related to the COVID-19 pandemic. If you think that your case warrants an emergency order, it is vital that you seek legal counsel as soon as possible to help determine your available legal options. The courts have placed special requirements for the filing of any Emergency Motion. As result, it is important that you contact legal counsel to advise you of your options.

If you have any suspicion about child abuse during the current health crisis, please reach out to the Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-926-2873 or visit their website.

Is the Loss of Income During the Coronavirus Outbreak a Basis to Modify Alimony or Child Support?

Unfortunately, this unforeseen pandemic has resulted in laid-off employees, reduced hours, and shut down of numerous businesses. If any of the aforementioned has occurred, child support and alimony payments may be modifiable. Modification is not automatic; as a result, it is essential that you notify the other party of such changes in employment.

Although not required in every case, the order awarding alimony or child support may contain such a notice requirement. As a result, it is vital that you contact legal counsel to determine your best course of action.

What Happens to a Pending Divorce?

Pending divorce cases continue to move forward. However, you must keep in mind that because the courthouses are closed all proceedings are being conducted via Zoom. This time of uncertainty has brought upon a vast amount of emotional and financial hardships for both individuals and families alike. Some families are in the midst of divorce proceedings. It is crucial that you keep yourself informed about the divorce process and that you have the appropriate legal advice. An experienced attorney can help you understand the complexities of the divorce proceeding while making your best interests a priority throughout the proceedings. If you require legal guidance during your divorce proceeding, our team is here to alleviate any unnecessary stress.

Can I Start a New Divorce Proceeding?

It is possible to commence a divorce proceeding during the COVID-19 pandemic and our legal team is available to see you through that process. However, keep in mind that electronic communication is the new “norm”. As a result, the time ordinarily spent physically in-person meeting with an attorney has now transitioned to online video or audio conferences.

If I am the Victim of Domestic Violence, What Can I Do?

If you are the victim of domestic violence, please remember that you are not alone. If you have any questions or concerns, please call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233 or visit their website. Additionally, keep in mind that one of the first things you should do is apply for an injunction. Although the courts are closed for in-person proceedings, you can go to the family courthouse in your county and apply for a domestic violence injunction.

Our main priority is to service the needs of our clients to the fullest. Below please find a few of the Administrative Orders that have been issued throughout the state of Florida.

Client Reviews

Christy Hertz helped me tremendously with co-parenting issues concerning my daughter. She was fair, listened to me and gave me great advice. She was honest with me, and I have great respect for her because of it. Ultimately, my daughter's father recognized what he needed to do for our daughter's...

K. D.

Christy’s polished demeanor is professional and highly effective. She ALWAYS has a plan and it's ALWAYS the correct one. In representing me from the divorce consultation to the final agreement, her practical, point-blank approach is a well appreciated one. If you are looking for the best attorney to...


This is a great firm. Christy and her colleagues represented us through a four year, highly complicated case. We were well represented throughout the whole process. The firm is professional, knowledgable, experienced, and highly effective. These are thorough, hard working attorneys who are competent...


Katie made me feel comfortable and confident. She follows through and is very patient to answer any questions you may have. If you're feeling nervous she assures you everything will be ok because she will be there with you every step of the way. Katie is very detailed and available at all times. I...


Katie, Helped me with my modification for child support. Being in the military it is very complexed dealing with pay and state laws but Katie guided me the whole way and made the process seem easy. I highly recommend Katie she is very knowledgeable and I felt I could trust her to look for my best...


Over 30 Years of Experience

Fill out the contact form or call us at 305.444.3323 to schedule your consultation.

Leave Us a Message