Child Support

What if My Child's Parent is not Paying Child Support?

In the event you are awarded alimony or you receive or pay child support there may come a time when your former spouse or your child's other parent fails to make his or her alimony and/or child support payment timely, in full or fails to makes those payments at all. In that situation you may need to seek enforcement through the court. If the court finds that your former spouse or the other parent's non-payment of alimony and/or child support is willful and that he or she has the ability to pay, the court will order him or her to abide by the alimony and/or child support term of your final judgment or marital settlement agreement and may result in a contempt order being entered against him or her.

What if the Child Support is not Enough?

If either parties’ circumstances substantially change after entry of the final judgment, so that an upward or downward modification of child support may be warranted, do not hesitate to contact the attorneys of Hertz Sager

The court may modify a Florida child support order when it is in the best interest of the child, when the child reaches majority, when there is a substantial change in the circumstances of the parties since entry of the Final Judgment, when the court requires support beyond the age of 18 years due to dependency, or when a child is emancipated, marries, joins the armed services, or dies. A requirement for modification of a parent's child-support obligation is a showing of substantial change in circumstances, not contemplated at the time of final judgment of dissolution, which is significant, material, involuntary, and permanent in nature.

Please contact us either online or by telephone at 305.444.3323 to schedule a consultation so we can discuss how we can help.